Composting is a form of waste disposal where organic waste decomposes naturally under oxygen-rich conditions. Organic compost from leaves, yard waste and other organic materials that help plants grow.
How to Create Compost
There are ways that you can compost at home as well:
- Select a dry, shady spot near a water source for your compost pile or bin.
- Add chopped, organic, brown and green materials as they are collected
- Moisten dry materials as they are added.
- Once your compost pile is created, mix grass clippings and green waste into the pile and bury fruit and vegetable waste under 10 inches of compost material.
Composting has many natural benefits for the growth and enrichment of your landscape. Not only does it enrich the soil, but it also suppresses plant diseases and pests.
Other benefits of composting include:
- Reduction of the need for chemical fertilizers.
- Production of beneficial bacteria and fungi that break down organic matter to create humus, a rich nutrient-filled material.
- Reduction of methane emissions from landfills and lowers your carbon footprint.
If you need tips or guidance on how to create efficient compost for your landscape, call us today! (864) 423-3844.